May 12, 2015
Welcome to this guided color meditation for mindfulness. The purpose of this activity and this exercise if you will is to create an intention for the day ahead. Mindfulness and meditation have been known to be the non-judgmental awareness of experiences in the present moment and that produce beneficial effects on your well-being.
The purpose of mindfulness and meditation is to regulate attention, your body awareness, your emotion as well as your subjective and objective perspectives. And the invitation here with this activity is to embrace the present moment and to see and just notice where you are.
Let’s begin simply by centering our attention and awareness. Make yourself comfortable. You can do this sitting down or lying down, however it is comfortable for you. Adjust your clothing as needed and assume a comfortable body posture. And the invitation here is just to simply notice.
What sensations do you notice in your body?
Simply notice. There is no “right”, there is no “wrong”. Just notice. Bring your attention to the sensations you experience. Notice your breath. How is it?
Just breathe normally and whenever you are ready, I invite you to close your eyes and slowly deepen your breath.
Begin By Relaxing
- Deepen the breathing. Deepen the breath. And slowly feel your body relax.
- Relax your jaw. Relax your throat. Relax your neck.
- Relax your shoulders. Relax your torso. Relax your stomach.
- Relax your hips. Relax your thighs. Relax your knees.
- Relax your calves. Relax your ankles. And relax your toes.
And simply notice. Notice your breath and what colors are now playing in front of your eyes. Relax into it. Relax and now hold an intention for you, the intention for the day, for the activities ahead. And simply hold those intentions.
- Create a picture in your mind of the color red.
- Imagine red of all shades.
- Red landscape.
- You can picture any and all red objects.
- Imagine all the different tones of red.
- Enjoy red and allow yourself to breathe the color red into yourself.
- Become aware of red all around you, all through you.
- Now allow the color you’re imagining to change into orange.
- Think of orange flowers.
- Picture the color orange, all the various infinite shades and tints of orange.
- All the orange flowers you can think of.
- All the orange fruits and vegetables: flowers and pumpkins, carrots.
- Fill the entire visual field of your mind’s eye with the color orange.
- Orange soothes you, revitalizes you.
- Enjoy orange.
- Allow your mind to see the color yellow. Powerful, bright yellow. The bright yellow of the “sun glow” above you at high noon.
- Visualize yellow and see in your imagination, see using your inner eye, all the various shades of yellow.
- Allow yellow to fill your vision. Lemons and flowers and fall leaves. Imagine all the endless tones of yellow.
- Imagine yourself surrounded with yellow. Immerse yourself in a sea of yellow. And allow yellow to support you.
- Now let the color you’re imagining become green.
- Fill your imagination with the color green.
- All the infinite varieties, tones and tints and shades of green.
- Plants, leaves, grass, emeralds, crystals.
- Just imagine being surrounded by beautiful green.
- Everything from the lightest to the darkest.
- Bright green.
- Subdued green.
- Just green.
- Green fills you, revitalizes you and refreshes you.
- Be in green.
- Now see in your mind the color blue.
- And surround yourself with beautiful, beautiful blue.
- Unending as far as your inner eye can see.
- Unending shades of blue.
- Water and sky.
- Just unending.
- And imagine blue filling your vision.
- Enjoy the color blue.
- Indigo’s a very beautiful color.
- Visualize this.
- It’s the color of blue jeans.
- The dark color of indigo.
- Imagine and fill your vision with indigo.
- And allow this color now to become violet.
- Violet or lavender, lighter, more fun, color.
- And focus on the multitude of violets and purples and lavenders all around you.
- What flowers can you name?
- What scenes do you remember?
- What tastes do you taste?
- Immerse yourself fully into this color.
- Enjoy violet.
- Now allow the color in your imagination to become white.
- A breathtaking white.
- See with your inner eye white all around you.
- You are bathed in this pure, pure color.
- The color that consists of all colors.
Returning To Breath
Now allow your attention to return to your breathing. Notice how calm and regular your breathing is now.
- Where is it now?
- How is the rhythm?
- How is your body now?
Meditate on the calming color relaxation once again and now imagine the colors again one at a time starting with Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, Indigo, Violet, White. What color does your body resonate with? Do you have a favorite?
Now allow the body to breathe in energy and activity in from your resonant color. Enjoy this feeling of relaxation that you’re experiencing. Enjoy it. Put your attention to it.
And now it’s time to return your attention to the intention you set forth at the beginning of this exercise, at the beginning of the attention.
- What was your attention?
- What was your intention?
Slowly bring your awareness back to the present. Feel the clothes on your skin. Feel the air in your room. Slowly, gently, in whatever speed and whatever way that’s most comfortable, just notice.
- How are you?
- Are you cool?
- Are you warm?
- Are you comfortable?
And now, at your own pace, in your own rhythm, visualize the easiest way, the way with the least resistance to move your body and prepare for the activities for the day. What is it? Just visualize.
And when you’re ready, stretch your arms, stretch your fingers, stretch your toes, stretch your body and open your eyes. Slowly become alert, aware, calm and present.